Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Questions, Answers and a Few More Questions




I've been thinking about how this, my last post, can do justice to the work we've all done this summer. I can tally up the things that we did: compared style and iconographic variables in fresco programs, hand-traced motifs and letters, paid close attention to brushstrokes, color variations and idiosyncratic spellings and letter forms. What this list doesn't reveal is the wholly unexpected outcome.

We set out to find Anastasia represented in rock-cut churches other than Mereyamana. We found a few such representations but quickly realized that they were dead-ends. The places where we expected to find nothing were where we found what we weren't looking for--evidence of the presence of a branch of an imperial family in Cappadocia half a decade later than has previously been documented, and evidence for a workshop--or variations within the same workshop--painting in five rock-cut churches located in three Cappadocian valleys.




Stephanie, Brad, Sarah and Chris spent long days in the field photographing nearly everthing and taking copious notes. They spent longer evenings--and finally two days at base camp--transcribing, labelling, comparing everything, working in teams to sum up their findings. Each bit of work contributed to the whole. By taking care of the details they allowed me the luxury of looking, and I am thankful for their diligence, dedication and grit. It will take me some time to get down to writing, as there is now so much more to research, check and double-check. It is both daunting and very, very exciting.


I initially sought to answer one question. I did, I think, find the answer, but also found many more questions. Some can be answered now, some have possible answers and some will require much more work to solve. It is quite likely that some of our observations will untangle previously tangled aspects of context, patronage and workshops in Cappdocian rock-cut churches. I can guarantee that many of our observations will raise new questions and create new tangles. I am beginning to see a pattern--or patterns, and with each question answered I will hopefully come closer to understanding the meaning of decorative programs in a distinct group of rock-cut churches. I am getting closer to hearing their original 'voices'; pinning down their raisons d'etre. For me, nothing is more rewarding. And frankly, nothing is quite as exhilarating.

My heartfelt thanks go once again to my intrepid team, who weathered my moods (generally either Mother Goose or General Sherman), my driving (and my involuntary deployment of 'colorful phrases' at moments of stress--who knew that French-manufactured cars have reverse in the upper left rather than the lower right, and that you need to pull up on a ring to get the thing into gear?) and my tendency to walk in the wrong direction with great authority.

And thank all of you who followed our blog! I hope it conveyed the joy of what we do. I certainly can't imagine doing anything else.



I leave the last words to the students--I've heard there is a blooper-reel. As our Turkish friends say: Gule Gule!